Love it! Oh, he intricacies and mysteries of the English language. But so tragic he has been worrying about this his entire life. Bless him! I do hope he now feels much better.
And then there's "pudenda", the medical and anatomical word for external genitalia, usually female. It comes from the Latin word for "parts to be ashamed of."
I went to a lecture in grad school dealing with public health and the speaker sounded like they were saying PUBIC every time. Made it hard to concentrate for those of us with a middle school sense of humor.
Tee hee dates back to the 1300s. ..introduced by Geoffrey Chaucer in the Millers Tale. A story about a man tricked into kissing a woman's bottom. Always a favourite in the lit class. Raunchy lot those Brits:)
I felt so awful for a coworker who, when tasked to compose and issue a mass annual report on various departments, did so only to realize too late she had distributed the mass mailing with our Public Affairs Department listed as Pubic Affairs. So easy to make such an error that it scared me into triple checking every time I typed the word to make sure I didn’t make the same mistake.
It pays to double or triple check when typing those words! I was glad to retire from nursing before patient charts were computerized and everything had to be typed. I shudder to imagine ...
Funny, but not the pejorative word you have used to him in your first response. I’m genuinely shocked that you think it acceptable to use that word, commonly used to refer to someone with Downs Syndrome when I was growing up in the 1960s but surely we’ve moved on from that.
Love it! Oh, he intricacies and mysteries of the English language. But so tragic he has been worrying about this his entire life. Bless him! I do hope he now feels much better.
ReplyDeleteLove it!
ReplyDelete'Pubic hair' in German is Schamhaar = shame hair. Shame? I'll take 'pubic'.
ReplyDeleteAnd then there's "pudenda", the medical and anatomical word for external genitalia, usually female. It comes from the Latin word for "parts to be ashamed of."
DeleteYes, that word always makes me think of 'pudding'. Most unfortunate.
DeleteI am amused.
ReplyDeleteSo funny! Reminded me of Peter Kay's misheard lyrics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NivZhWYepas xx
ReplyDeleteI like how he is managing expectations!
ReplyDeleteBut . . . what about public pubic hair?
ReplyDeleteThat distinction could keep one up at night!
ReplyDeleteUsed to work for a successor department to the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works. Always had to spell check VERY carefully. Jx
ReplyDeleteWhat a difference one letter can make.
ReplyDeleteAuto correction is not our friend.
ReplyDeleteHe is a quietly, darkly humorous man.
ReplyDeleteHumor with a twist.
ReplyDeleteThe guy has potential and being funny is always good.
I went to a lecture in grad school dealing with public health and the speaker sounded like they were saying PUBIC every time. Made it hard to concentrate for those of us with a middle school sense of humor.
ReplyDeleteCeci
hee hee!!
ReplyDeleteTee hee dates back to the 1300s. ..introduced by Geoffrey Chaucer in the Millers Tale. A story about a man tricked into kissing a woman's bottom. Always a favourite in the lit class. Raunchy lot those Brits:)
DeleteToo funny.
ReplyDeleteNice bit of Sunday morning humor with my coffee.
ReplyDeleteI felt so awful for a coworker who, when tasked to compose and issue a mass annual report on various departments, did so only to realize too late she had distributed the mass mailing with our Public Affairs Department listed as Pubic Affairs. So easy to make such an error that it scared me into triple checking every time I typed the word to make sure I didn’t make the same mistake.
ReplyDeleteAh, it finally makes sense.
ReplyDeleteLOL -- I thought your headline was a typo!
ReplyDeleteIt pays to double or triple check when typing those words! I was glad to retire from nursing before patient charts were computerized and everything had to be typed. I shudder to imagine ...
ReplyDeleteHugs!
That is just so funny!
ReplyDeleteThat was me, don't know why I came up as anonymous.
DeleteFunny, but not the pejorative word you have used to him in your first response.
ReplyDeleteI’m genuinely shocked that you think it acceptable to use that word, commonly used to refer to someone with Downs Syndrome when I was growing up in the 1960s but surely we’ve moved on from that.
By the way, what’s a mong?
ReplyDeleteOh, sweetheart. I just found the origin of the word. Awful.
DeleteThere are two slang meanings
Delete(UK, Ireland, slang, offensive, derogatory) A stupid person
Yes, but I read that the origin of the word is from the derogatory word ‘mongoloid.’ It’s like using ‘tard’, isn’t it?
DeleteYour German proves general opinion wrong. Germans certainly DO HAVE a sense of humour.
ReplyDeleteHe does and I love him for it
DeleteHardy har. I will have to spread this around.
ReplyDeleteLove it
DeleteDid you ever watch Schitts creek? The same typo on Alexis' certificate caused great amusement to the Rose family x
ReplyDeleteHe’s very Moria
DeleteI love such random and off the wall conversations. :-)
ReplyDelete