Mrs Trellis from North Wales

Living in the village, I have learnt to glean pleasure from the smallest of situations.
It is not a hard thing to do.
I enjoy people watching. and have always noticed the minutiae of  frailties and idiosyncrasies within people since my Psychiatric nurse days way back in the 1980s.
One villager I ALWAYS enjoy watching is MrsTrellis (not her real name)
She is a diminutive, white haired and vital lady, with a ready smile and a gentle nature. She loves animals and makes a huge fuss of the dogs when she meets them, a thing she did yesterday , when she met a rather non plussed Constance for the first time.
The essential humour in Mrs Trellis' behaviour is that she just cannot control her huge black and white sheepdog when out for its walk. Often when I am walking up High Street, heading towards the Gop, I may just spy Mrs Trellis ambling down the hill without a seeming care in the world.
Then she will spy me and more importantly the four dogs with me and noticeably she will go into what I can only describe as a minor controlled panic.
 Before her dog actually starts that "stiffening" gait that all dogs do when they are unsure of others, Mrs Trellis will do a tiny dance of shortening her dog's lead, adjusting her clothing for a bit of a tussle and then will try to bolt for the nearest escape route, whether it be a field gate, an open driveway or a behind a handy bush!
Of course her anxiety is immediately transmitted to her dog, who realising that something is afoot will bound forward to challenge whatever threat that is ahead and then I am faced with the spectacle of small  rather deadpan old lady being effectively dragged around like Stephen Boyd in the Ben Hur Chariot race, whilst yelling "whoa! stop! STOP! WHOA!!!!! Noooo! steady!!!
It doesn't perhaps sound very funny, but every time it happens I could literally lie on the floor and chuckle my pants off.
I think what I actually find funny is the juxtaposition of huge hairy barking dog and tiny sweet old lady, with her heels "clacking" manically on the road...
or perhaps it's just me eh?
To me she is the spit of actress frances sternhagen (right)
When I met her yesterday, she was alone , so she could make a fuss of the dogs without any fear of confrontation.
Wistfully, she always comments on just how well behaved the dogs are.....and I always curb the urge to suggest that she buys a Yorkshire terrier!

22 comments:

  1. Priceless ! I love your description of her. I'm a bit of a people watcher too & love noticing weird traits in people. Now I'm working in the charity shop I get more exposure to it & am learning names to go with the faces I've known for years...quite apart from the wonderful quirky conversations....

    Thanks for your lovely comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi John, well I would never have guessed that you were pschy trained ;) when I did my placement on an acute admissions unit in the 80's the ward sister told me bluntly not to bother so I never did! Just happy with the mums and babes now :)
    Your ditty made me smile as we have a similar owner/dog set up up the lane
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Adjusting her clothing for a bit of a tussle' cracked me up. Has there been any times when she hasn't managed to dodge you and the dogs? If so what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  4. When we had our black lab I had the same problem, and I am not a little old lady.....well not yet!!

    Gill in Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. She sounds lovely! I do like, John, that you can gently make fun of people (including yourself) whilst also showing how much affection you have for them. xxxx oooo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the real Mrs Trellis may have kicked the bucket along with old Humph - haven't heard from her for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the description of her! I love meeting the old folk when I walk the dogs, they are an instant ice breaker and I get to talk to them. My little pooches are often lifted into their arms for a cuddle and they know who fusses them and look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your words made her come alive for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a visual image of all this. How funny. I don't think I would recommend yorkies. I have two that think they are doberman.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Poor Mrs. Trellis! I can imagine her heart, pounding at the sight of you and the four dogs headed your way - being towed by her big dog! My Aunt had a Chesapeake that often took her for walks and the occasional drag if he saw something interesting! He weighed more than she did!

    (after a visit to the E.R. she found him a new home)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amazing how our dogs can pick up our energy...be it good or not so good! I can just 'see' the picture you created for us John......so predictable yet hilarious.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant John. I love people watching, and it has gotten me into trouble in the past when I have got too ingrossed! I had a wonderful time on Barnsley Market doing just that yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. wish i could see her and the event myself! she sounds like a delight. good sunday morning reading here in california.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to chuckle at the kids being dragged down the sidewalk by their dogs when they'd see my dogs and I--I imagine your encounters with Mrs. Trellis are very much the same way. Our maniac dogs looked well behaved compared them them too!

    Hope you're doing well!! MANY THANKS for your lovely card! It arrived on Friday and was such a nice lift at the end of a crazy week!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. And, someday soon, you will have pictures of this? She sounds like a lovely lady and her dog sounds very big.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post John. I would with the elderly and I so love when folks pay attention and appreciate the fact they are still living a life out there and have something to contribute. I kinda like the fact she has the big dog--she is still in control :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thought it quite humorous, too. I can see the big dog pulling her along.
    And when I first saw your post, I thought it was going to be about the actress in some way, so I have to agree, she is definitely a look alike. :-)
    Hope you are both doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh I found your description hilarious, John. I've been in a similar situation first with my late 45kg Rottweiler and recently with my burly and boisterous Labrador. I love to people watch too so thanks for the post. Have a great week. Greetings from Jo

    ReplyDelete
  19. As you used a pseudonym for the little old lady, I have been wondering what her real name might be. Not Mrs Trellis but perhaps Mrs Chestnut-Fencing or Mrs Wickerwork?
    Come to think of it, you might not really be John Gray - you're probably Charlie Cardle - The Singing Policeman!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is what I miss most about living in a village - the people.

    What a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is a cute story. Perhaps, you could suggest that you have learned so much watching shows like "The dog whisperer". Perhaps she would watch and learn that in fact, it is the owner not the dog typically that causes the behaviour problems..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello everyone I want to introduce you guys to a group a private investigators who can help you with information you need in any situation in life and they are ready to follow you step by step until your case is cleared just contact +17078685071 and you will happily ever after

    Premiumhackservices@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes