Counselling going forward

 I have been qualified as a practicing counsellor for a year now.
That’s approximately 240 hours of client centred therapy.
Quite a lot, you may think, given the fact that said counsellor has been occasionally suffering from bouts of imposter syndrome during the past year.

I’m only just emerging from imposter syndrome and today was an example of feeling stretched and truly challenged as a professional counsellor as I was not only faced with a safeguarding issue which necessitated liaising with a host of medical professionals but had to deal with a client , I felt I couldn’t help in the way they wanted me to. 

You can feel somewhat isolated as a counsellor
You have to think on your feet,
You have to remain honest and objective 
And you have to be able to listen to that inner voice, the one that sometimes screams to high heaven 
When all about you is silent. 

I needed that challenge this week 
And I enjoyed dealing with it all in a professional, slightly stressed sort of way

69 comments:

  1. Blimey, has it really been a year? Today you've proved to yourself what we've all known from day one, that you have what it takes to succeed. Enjoy that glow, you've earned it! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dearHeart

      Delete
    2. I KNOW!!!! I had the very same thought!

      John, I am glad for that 'glow'. I love watching your confidence build.

      Delete
    3. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ™πŸŒˆπŸ˜‡πŸ˜€

      Delete
  2. Anonymous7:56 pm

    Yay you! And I am not surprised. Haven’t met you (yet :) but this sounds very on brand. Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:37 pm

    Good for you John, you can be proud that you are truly qualified now. That year passed rather quickly for us readers, maybe slower for you. Hugs, Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd prefer a therapist with imposter syndrome, which to me implies a certain humbless and willingness to listen--than the usual arrogant know it all asshole one is more often hooked up to. You re very qualified and I m sure your nursing capability hapls handle crises or stressful situations very vell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I question every aspect of my therapy ,

      Delete
  5. The stress isn’t necessarily welcome but the reinforcement that you do in fact know what you’re doing and know when to escalate is reassuring. You’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear friend , I felt in control today

      Delete
  6. I think that’s awesome!
    As someone who benefits enormously from counseling, I am 300% behind you on this.
    Kudos.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous9:13 pm

    Da iawn I chi ! I don’t think there are many professional jobs that don’t have imposter syndrome! It is a miracle we all survive and so do 99% of the clients. Llongyfarchiadau John am flwyddyn dda - congratulations John on a great year despite all your own tribulations πŸ₯‚πŸ’•πŸ’•

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diolch i ti, fy ffrind annwyl, am y geiriau hyn. Xxx

      Delete
  8. Good for you, John! Be proud of your accomplishments and growth as a practitioner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:31 pm

    You have never been an imposter, John, not for one second. I believe your clients are so lucky to have you. Sending you a gigantic
    hug! I wish it was in person! Carol in Atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have but I’m over it

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nope, there is no imposter in you at all. You're genuine through and through and your clients are lucky to have you listen with your heart, soul, and ears to what they need to say.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well done, John dear! It's wonderful to "hear" the pride & satisfaction in your voice that a well-met challenge has provided. Hugs to you, and a well-deserved gin and tonic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved the challenge of today , very much

      Delete
  13. The more experience you acquire, the more resilient you will become in processing the emotional toll that must affect all serious counsellors. Hey! Maybe I should have been a counsellor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several students on my course, I felt shouldn’t be counsellors , they are….

      Delete
  14. Anonymous10:49 pm

    you are wise, John. One of the most stellar mentors I ever had in my life was a nursing supervisor who always said...*always listen to your inner voice because it will almost never be wrong*.Thank you Elaine, for guiding me along my 40 year nursing career path with that sage counsel. You have the wisdom, John....share it freely.......
    Susan M/ Calif.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen dear susan , that inner voice has saved me many times over the years

      Delete
  15. That must be such a stressful profession John. To make a long story short, I once received a phone call from a woman reaching out for help. She was badly beaten by her husband and was calling for my friend who wasn't there. The fear in her voice was palpable. I spent hours calling police, a woman's shelter and others trying to get her help. I was finally able to get someone but I was shaking afterwards and couldn't stop thinking about it for weeks. It was a harrowing experience.
    Is it difficult to turn off for you?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Another hill surmounted. You should feel more confident going forward. Thank god people are so very much more aware of safe guarding these days than when I was a child.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have often had imposter syndrome when nursing in a new area. It's hard and the only was to make it go away is time and practice, which you're doing. Well done:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Listening to other people's problems every day would drive me bonkers. So well done John; we need people like you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you do that everyday anyway dear old friend

      Delete
  19. It must really feel lonely making decisions in those situations. Well done for caring and coping at such a difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was fortunate MIND has some talented staff that I could bounce off

      Delete
  20. Yorkshire Liz6:44 am

    Hard to believe it is a year - time certainly flies. Imposter syndrome is healthy, in it's way. Keeps you questioning yourself and all you do. But remember this: you are a natural born healer. That is why you are a nurse ( and a good one) and why and how others respond to you. I remember the very same agonies when you became a Samaritan. All part of your process. All you. And all good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The others have said it all....keep on keeping on, you're doing well xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. What you described about your counseling job kind of reminded me about the isolation of being a teacher. Even though it is quite different than being a counselor, in many ways it is the same too. I just watched your video of zip lining on your previous post. I zip lined in Costa Rica years ago, but we were sitting up, not in the position you were in. I would have been scared to death!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your experience with imposter syndrome, will help you understand the insecurities of your clients. That is so important. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree with this , my supervisor loves my questioning and charges accordingly

      Delete
  24. I concur that your nursing experience most likely makes you a better counselor. I am proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s helped me not to look shocked at absolutely anything

      Delete
  25. Krayolakris12:19 pm

    Time flies! Like a zip line! Seems like only days ago you were decked out in your sporty new jumper and scarf, heading off to your new career! Congratulations and bless you for helping so many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol my chic Eleanor scarf , still my pride of place

      Delete
  26. Congratulations on your first year of successful counselling, just one of many to come I hope. A counsellor with imposter syndrome is one that can continue to learn, and you are never too high and mighty to think you don't need that. We all do. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m mindful not to be too confident

      Delete
  27. John! Look at what you've done and accomplished! You know there is an entire community here who is so very proud of you and who has deep confidence in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andries value that blind but welcome support xx

      Delete
  28. Congratulations, John. Do your best like you always do and you will be great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw Donna from my old counselling class the other day and she is in the same place , it did me good

      Delete
  29. Its a good sign that you enjoyed the challenge even if it might have been stressful... You know... i think its about time you get paid for your counseling.... yes? no? Hugs! deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do get paid now deb and expenses! Whoooo!

      Delete
    2. I'm so glad to hear that!!!

      Delete
  30. Replies
    1. 🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜🦜

      Delete
  31. A good counselor/therapist is worth their weight in gold. So there you go, where a little extra weight is working for you. XO

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jo in Auckland6:23 pm

    I keep saying I am but I am clearly not....It ceases to amaze me how quickly a year flies! I cannot believe that you would feel like an imposter considering how hard you worked to get your quals. What an amazing year and what an achievement; if I needed a counsellor (and one could argue sometimes that I do)I would pick you! Your approach to the stressful situations you find yourself in because of your vocation(s) is commendable!

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes