Help

 On the way to work last night, my phone screamed out the emergency text message .
It’s a  creepy sound.
Foreboding, 
I was driving so couldn’t look at the screen 
Nuclear war ? The zombie apocalypse ? 
Trump ? 
When I pulled up at the hospice 
The emergency screen said this 


My Welsh isn’t that good 
But even I could tell it’s a fire warning

44 comments:

  1. Yorkshire Liz6:50 am

    I think everyone in the UK with Internet or mobile connection got one! Talk about pointing out the bleedin' obvious - and not in a good or immediate way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't get the scary noise......I turned the alerts off when they were first mentioned a few years ago!! If something bad is about to happen I will no doubt find out at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Because I wear hearing aids, I have my phone on speaker, so I got some random person telling me not to set fire to anything. As Yorkshire Liz says, state the bleeding obvious! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry. As non-native English speaker Welsh seems to be just a cat laying over the keyboard... So Welsh has nothing to do with English (languages, I mean)? I understood word barbeciwiau to be something to do with "barbeque" so I would think this could be "do not lit any fires"- warning?
    Well NOW I know what it was, but as a foreigner I would've been a bit... baffled

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a brilliant way of describing the written Welsh language. :-)

      Delete
    2. Welsh is a sing song language ,

      Delete
  5. No emergency alert up here in the far north of Scotland which makes sense as we've had a pretty wet summer so far!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Do they not also send out the alert in English since so many people in Wales aren‘t skilled in Welsh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few minutes later was the English message

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:31 pm

      Nice the Welsh got priority

      Lee

      Delete
  7. I have turned off the end of the world alerts on my phone, I am not going to run or hide.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that the welsh fire won't be a threat to you, John! Now I know how you feel when I write something in Polish :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was an English fire that precipitated the message barra xx

      Delete
  9. Surely they would have sent a warning in English as well?

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've got those going on here, too! Good old climate change at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s the end of the world as we know it

      Delete
  11. Interesting to see it in Welsh! That would have stumped me too, needless to say.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Someone I know in London sent me pics of brown fields. "No rain for 40 days," he said. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ours go off for tornado warnings mostly. Flood warnings sometimes too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's a shame the Welsh warning arrived a few minutes before the English version came through, I believe a lot of people were briefly baffled. I applaud the Government for sending us this sort of warning, the fires have reached a dangerous level and another dry weekend is on the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I get the warnings like that for the severe thunderstorms or tornado watches. Stay safe, John.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barbara Anne2:02 pm

    Why didn't the alerts come at the same time, Welsh then English? In this day and time, a 4 minute delay is unnecessary.
    Just last night my phone screamed about a tornado warning. As it turned out, the wind didn't even pick up.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess they are still testing the system babs

      Delete
  17. Anonymous5:45 pm

    What an interesting language Welsh is. Cool you knew it was a fire warning. Cali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ( Tân) is fire in Welsh , I guessed the rest

      Delete
  18. Anonymous5:51 pm

    I can't believe the fuss people have made about the alert. Yes, it should have been bilingual but at the end of the day did it really do any of us harm? Hopefully we'll get rain soon 🤞 Viv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m notomplaining, it’s a geat idea

      Delete
  19. Relieved it was a general FYI-type alert and not one requiring an immediate evacuation. Hope you, Mary, Roger, Bun, and Weaver are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary , ill, but stable rove dim , bun friendly , weaver psychopath

      Delete
  20. Anonymous10:43 pm

    Bushfires are common and cruel in Australia, people just expect that summer will bring them. I complain about the cold in winter when it drops to 5 degrees C !
    The heat is not an issue for most as we have aircon
    I noticed that driving through the top of Spain and into Portugal there are plantations of eucalyptus which of course are native to Aus and they are great incendiary starters.
    Stay safe and listen to warnings

    ReplyDelete
  21. Anonymous11:19 pm

    good heavens! That is a language from another planet! I would be clueless...I was mildly tipped off by the word barbeciwiau but really I couldn't speak it I'm sure, and I sure can't comprehend it! Can you speak it and understand it? I do speak Swiss/German, which is the dialect my parents spoke and one I grew up with.It doesn't help me much here in california LOL but I can read german and comprehend it, but as to speaking it...a bit more difficult for me than *schweitzer deutsch* which was my mother tongue dialect. I didn't learn to speak english till I went to kindergarten at age 5....Now I'm 73...and have been taking spanish lessons online for 6 years! Go figure
    Susan M/ Calif.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I get screaming alarms like that, mostly for tornado warnings. But I'm deaf and can't hear it anyway. Sorry to hear that you all are having such an awful time with the weather. It seems we all are.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes