Operation Open Day

It looks like a bog standard black file to many, but to me it is my open day " bible". The open allotment day organisation plan started yesterday. Like any event that " looks" good fun. it can be a logistical nightmare to sort out. Favours have to be asked, help has to be sought and boxes need to be ticked and all on the back of the Flower Show, which is only a month away itself.
Already items for the produce and craft stall have arrived to be boxed up ready for the day and this morning I have an appointment with Mrs Trellis, from the village who has kindly offered me her services for the day


donated craft work and produce

 I could not persuade the vicar to pose with Bingley for a publicity shot for "name the turkey competition" so local affable character Peter has jumped into the fray to judge the entries (avid readers may remember him for having the infamous astroturf in his award winning garden a year or so ago)
I think the local papers may jump at the chance to have a "man and turkey" photo shot....a first for The Prestatyn Journal and The Flintshire Chronicle me thinks.

Peter on his notorious astroturf
So locals beware. I shall be buttonholing you very soon.....be prepared to be asked for one of the following before the 1st of September

a home made cake
(failing that a shop bought one!)
a raffle prize
any produce or craft item

16 comments:

  1. Mrs Trellis is a great name for a countrywoman. Does she have clematis creeping up her thighs? Good luck with the planning. Chocks away Captain Gray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, please send me your address and I will get the jewelery piece off to you ASAP.

    Chania

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this sudden urge to sing "Jerusalem".
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to see he's just given it a quick trim (the astroturf, I mean).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peter looks quite pleased to be posing as the judge for this crafty event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you start off in such a jolly mood each year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see you are pretty good at the pseudo bullying that is necessary to organise such things John. As for the astro turf idea - it may well catch on here on the farm as the farmer is pretty tardy at mowing the grass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When and where is the show? Sounds bonkers but I'd love to attend

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our open day is Sunday the first of September ( weather permitting)
      12.30pm onwards
      Just behind Trelawnyd Church

      Delete
    2. 148 miles. Looks do-able :o)

      Delete
  9. Oooh, I might own a house in Wales by then, I could just be tripping along for a look :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would be most welcome

      Delete
    2. Sue, leave the tripping to John...he's so good at it.
      Jane x

      Delete
  10. Good luck, John! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. If I were there, I'd pose with a turkey, and I'd promise to bring a shop-bought cake. You'd be shut down by the Board of Health if someone ate something I baked. Wishing you huge success!

    ReplyDelete
  12. John - If there is something you would like from the US to use as a raffle prize, President Obama souvenir coins, (I think I might have an extra set) dog toys, cat toys, something for the kitchen, or anything else, just let me know as soon as possible, I'd be happy to try and get it for you and in the mail right away. Just e-mail me, kimwnva@aol.com if there is--If there's not of course that's okay too, I just thought I'd offer.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes