Old Lady Down............but not out

The next village down the valley is a old mining Village called Dyserth. Between it and next large village called Rhuddlan   there is a long fast straight road , bounded by the neat fields of the Bodrhyddan Estate.
I often drive down this road, on the way to the Hospital, to the supermarket and to the animal feed shop, and early this morning I hurried down the road to pick some corn up before I needed to go to the doctors for a routine blood test.
Often I see a rather sprightly elderly lady walking with some purpose on the path next to this road, She always seems to wear a tweed skirt and a hat and as she strides forward with some gusto, she always holds a long stick in front of her and continually slaps it onto the ground with the same tip tap rhythm. At the end of the stick is what looks like a large white tennis ball, and I presume that this lady is seriously visually impaired if not blind.
This morning I saw her on her constitutional, marching forward with her head held high......and as I returned home I spied her again standing at a field gate.
She was holding the top bar of the gate with her face raised to the sun with eyes closed and there was the biggest smile on her face as  she was obviously enjoying the warmth of the morning sun.

It was a brief snapshot of a simple pleasurable moment, but it touched me so much I suddenly felt like crying

Anyhow enough of the soppiness
Its become a bit of an "old lady day" today...word went around the village last night that Auntie Gladys had had a fall at home and had fractured her pelvis but was still at home.
I called around this morning to find a pale, slightly frail Gladys sat at her kitchen table surrounded by worried neighbours and friends.She had indeed injured her pelvis in the fall but felt well enough to be at home with help from family and loved ones.
I could have kissed her as all she seemed worried about was the fact she couldn't sell her usual number of Flower Show Raffle tickets!
Now that's the spirit the won us the war!
When I left, she called out after me
"I can still make some scones for your open day!" and then added with a chuckle
" I'll just do them sitting down"

(Gladys on video from earlier in the year)

29 comments:

  1. You old softie you.
    But times like this are valuable in that we take for granted all that we have and enjoy in life.
    Good on her for being so active with her disability. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need a camera in the car! Must have filled you up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old in body, but not in spirit, John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These things pull us up short don't they John? Anyone who copes well with a disability is inspirational. And I suppose it goes without saying that the best things in life are free and that we can all feel the sun on our face and get immense pleasure from it regardless of whether we can see it or not. But sadly not everyone does.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness she is just adorable! You old softie you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing your world through your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are all heart John. Wish there were more like you around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Says a lot about the kind of man you are, that you could notice someone having a moment of joyfulness and feel moved by the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks a ton. Now all I can think about is scones.

    And, how wonderful that you notice those older than us. For decades they just annoyed me these "older" people now they fascinate me. So much to teach us, so much to share. My 92 yr old aunt Bernie is the jewel in our family.

    Your work in the village is fantastic. Keep up the story recording. It is so valuable and you do such a fine job (from what we can see on this blog !)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Gladys. Do tell her that we all care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. John: A question completely unrelated to your "old Lady Down" post from one of your American readers. I live adjacent to a community called Bryn Athyn, but none of the residents seem to be able to give me a good English translation of the Welsh name; can you help? I went on an extended field trip in Anglesey a few years ago and asked some of the natives the question and they said, "'Bryn Athyn' doesn't mean anything." Oh, come now. Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Older people can sometimes teach us something, can't they?! As for Auntie Gladys, I think that you should drag your best armchair out onto the field on open day and let her sit in it in the shade. She would probably enjoy it and add to the attraction factor of the event!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's the simple pleasures in life that matter.
    You're a softie John the Dogs.
    Good on ya Gladys, "Keep Calm and Carry On".
    ~Jo

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful and sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scott
    Bryn is Hill in welsh
    non of the welsh peopleI asked today knows what Athyn means.

    One lady said she thinks the ORIGINAL word probably was
    Bryn eithin which means hill of gorse

    hope that helps

    ReplyDelete
  16. John,

    You often surprise me with your insightful stories.

    So much value in our elderly population. Lessons to be learned by their simple gestures - such as welcoming the warmth of the sun.

    Enjoy your scones. They will be worth their weight in gold...

    Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  17. Writing about the lady with the walking stick was just so wonderful. I think it's marvelous to see people get outside and exercise..
    Scones...does Gladys have a recipe she could share? I would like to make scones and don't have a recipe.. annieptigger@aol.com
    Keep up the good work John~! I read in a blog recently that we need to fill in the dash that is between our bithdate and when we die. You have yours filled with so much kindness.
    Have a Blessed Day..ta ta for now from Iowa:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lovely old lady...

    ...and equally lovely of people like you John who notice them and check in every now and again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm glad you didn't think that lady was odd for standing there with her face to the sky (because I do it a lot too).
    Oh the dreaded broken hip. Is her's really broken John? Yikes, I hate to think it might be broken and not be treated?? I hope she is doing much better now.
    meggs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If I had to go to war, I'd rather be with a bunch of old cloggers than the youth of today!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That generation just has so much moxie! We all have very valuable lessons to learn from them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Sweet! You have this 'knack', John Grey, of capturing and relaying a moment in time so succinctly that is very heart-warming.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your posts always make me either smile, think, and, well, tear up (or all of the above). My best to Auntie Gladys... and to the lady on the road who is sounds to be right out of central casting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are an ol' soul John. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  25. Two special ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, what a crazy menagerie of animals you've got. Sounds like an amazing paradise for dogs to hang out.
    Tchao-wow!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anonymous2:49 am

    Wonderful stories of two incredibly strong women. Thanks John.

    ReplyDelete
  28. There must be a term for men who spend their leisure time stalking old ladies. Perhaps a gerontophile? You should add this to your cv while I contact Age Concern!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Anonymous4:25 pm

    Such a simple pleasure to feel the warmth of the sun on your face, disabled or not. Its true, the best things in life are free, or priceless, depending on how you look at it.

    ReplyDelete

I love all comments Except abusive ones from arseholes